Welcome to the latest lousy idea from TV execs! This weeks Celebrity Cooking Showdown has started, and after one episode, it has ended for me. With another washed-up actor as host (this time Growing Pains' Alan Thicke, who I also loved in the Not Quite Human movies, but he hasn't done anything significant in years), a collection of C-list "celebrities", great chefs with little personality, and some garbled format, it was just terrible and almost painful to watch.
Let's see where they went wrong exactly:
- The biggest celebrity on the show is probably Tom Arnold, who is best know as Roseanne's ex-husband.
- Any show with Ashley Parker Angel is doomed to fail.
- While obviously taking inspiration from the success of Iron Chef, they removed all the elements that make Iron Chef great. Instead of giving them a theme ingredient, they were already given recipes. There's not much intrigue when I know what they're making.
- The tag-teaming with the great chefs is just rediculous, and really takes away from the "celebrity cooking" aspect.
- Don't hide ingredients from chefs.
- Don't force female contestants to wear high heels in the kitchen. It's terribly impractical.
- I'm pretty sure they just pulled the judges off of the street.
- Ah, constant drama music…without thee I would have my sanity.
- Don't go telling the television audience that you are having a live 50-minute cookoff that starts at 9:09pm and ends at 9:49pm. I can do math, and I know that means you're not live.
My advice is to avoid this show at all costs. I belive the principal in Billy Madison put it best:
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.